If you want to make your hair healthier, shiny and smooth, and manage loss and brittleness, make sure it’s shielded. But before we go to the wizard, let’s find out what it is and whether it is possible to do the hair shielding at home by yourself.
Some women confuse shielding with lamination. These procedures do have some similarities, but they are very different in nature.
During the lamination process, a special compound is applied to the strand, covering each hair and helping to retain moisture inside. Special cosmetic formulations are also applied to the hair during screening, which penetrate deep into the hair, saturating it with nutrients and vitamins.
This effect is achieved due to the special ionic effect on the structure of the hair. At the same time, their surface is covered with a protective screen, blocking the loss of moisture and reducing the damage from external factors – for example, changes in temperature, wind and salt water.
Types: Classic and coloured shielding
Hair screening products can be of two types – colorless and coloring.
In the first case, a transparent composition is applied to the strand, and in the second case, dyeing pigments are added to it. The colourless treatment simply makes your original shade more intense and vivid, and the colourful one allows you to change the natural colour dramatically. Dyeing pigment shielding kits do not include ammonia and hydrogen peroxide, so the negative effect of dye on your hair is reduced to zero.
Indications for the procedure
When it’s time to do the shielding:
- Dryness of strands.
- Dullness and stiffness.
- Frequent use of thermal devices for hair (forceps, irons, hair dryers).
- Sectured tips.
- Thinness of hair.
- Lifeless appearance caused by frequent coloring with ammonia dyes, perm, straightening.
- Hair consistency.
In some cases the procedure is not recommended:
- If you have done “chemistry” or dyed ammonia strands at least two weeks ago.
- Head abrasions, fungal diseases.
- If you have heavy thick hair.
- If you are allergic, the process of shielding your hair can cause burning and redness of your skin.
- With weak roots: Hair loss may occur after the procedure.
- If you have oily curls and oily scalp.
Effect of the procedure
The screening procedure (at home or in the cabin) produces the following results:
- The heavelux becomes shiny.
- The curls become smoother and more manageable.
- The hair shaft is revitalised and nourished from the inside with beneficial trace elements, vitamins or plant extracts.
- The effect of dyeing (with coloured shielding) lasts longer on the curls.
- The hairstyle becomes heavier and is not fussy.
- It’s much easier to comb your hair.
- The yarns are protected from external factors.
- Hair becomes more voluminous. Each hair is wrapped in a screen, so the total volume of the hair is increased by 10%.
After each wash, the protective screen is gradually washed away, so the effect of the shielding is kept on the hair for an average of 2-4 weeks. After this time, it is advisable to update the procedure or do lamination: many masters recommend to alternate these procedures.
Depending on the initial condition of the hair, it may take about 10 sessions, between which it is desirable to wait 1 week, as the result of the procedure has a cumulative character.
Screening technology in the salon and at home: what are the differences?
The main difference is the price. If you come to the salon, be prepared to spend more money than if you are performing a home treatment. Depending on the length of hair, the selected product and the qualifications of the master.
If to carry out procedure independently, it is necessary to spend only for purchase of professional means for its performance. If you plan to carry out the procedure with the use of funds from Paul Mitchell, you will have to buy all 4 funds separately, as it is difficult to find them in one set.
Screening in the cabin has a significant advantage: all the work for you does an experienced master. But if you follow the manufacturer’s instructions and carefully follow all the instructions, you can make the screening of hair at home.